KISS ME. I’m barely Irish.
But, I did just made the perfect cupcake to celebrate your love of Shamrock Shakes.
To be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever celebrated St. Patty’s day. When March 17th rolls around, I I’m not excited to get hammered and celebrate my not so Irish heritage. I’m much more excited about going to McDonald’s and getting a shake.
Yes. I’m admitting that I go to McDonald’s, but I can promise you this is the only time of year that I desire to. Do I eat their food? NO. Do I love their Shamrock Shakes? YES.
Unfortunately, I limit myself to getting only one during the season (there is such a thing as too much of a good thing). To supplement, I figured out a delicious combo of a moist vanilla cake topped with a delicious Shamrock Shake butter-cream that tastes so close to the real thing I could cry.
Try it for yourself. You will love the results.
RECIPE: (makes 6 perfect cupcakes)
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbs buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- a few drops of green food coloring
- 1-2 Tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pan with liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a stand mixer with a fitted paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. Add in egg and egg yolk and mix to combine, scraping down sides when necessary.
- Add flour, vanilla, and baking powder to bowl. Beat on low speed while slowly pouring in buttermilk. Scrape down sides when necessary.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into cupcake liners until they are about 3/4 way full. This should fill almost exactly 6 cupcake liners.
- Bake in oven for about 12-15 min. or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in pan for 10 min. before taking out to cool on a wire rack.
- In a stand mixer with a fitted paddle attachment, cream butter and 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar together.
- Add in the rest of the sugar, the mint extract, the milk, and the green food coloring. Beat on low, gradually turning up the speed until frosting is thick and fluffy.
- Decorate cupcakes with frosting any way that you would like.
- Best stored in an air tight container at room temperature.