Growing up, dark chocolate nonpareils were one of my favorite candies. In fact, I used to love dance recital time because A. I loved dancing on stage (still do) and B. I used to get dark chocolate nonpareils with my flowers (let’s make this happen again).
Let’s be honest, there is no greater reward than chocolate ;).
I had a hankering for dark chocolate nonpareils so instead of buying them or wishing for someone to buy them for me, I thought why not make the best chocolate chip cookies ever and dip them in dark chocolate and nonpareils?!
This is my favorite and, as far as I’m concerned, the best chocolate chip cookie recipe out there. That is, if you like your cookies to be chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside, with melt in your mouth chocolate and a sprinkle of sea salt to balance out the sweetness.
And what’s better than extra chocolate and sugar!?
RECIPE: makes about 15 large cookies (adapted from my Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies)
- 10 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks (I use Trader Joe’s)
- flaked sea salt for sprinkling
- 4 oz. high quality dark chocolate for melting
- 1/2 cup rainbow nonpareils
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a fitted paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat in until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl when necessary.
- Add in flour and baking soda and beat until combined.
- Mix in chocolate chunks.
- Measure out 2 tablespoons worth of dough and roll into a ball. Place balls on lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven for exactly 11 min. rotating pan halfway through. This is a very important step, do not skip this.
- Cool cookies on a cooling rack.
- Once cool, melt chocolate in the microwave in a heat safe bowl for 30 sec. intervals, stirring in between until melted. Dip 1/3 of cookie into chocolate and then immediately into the nonpareils. Place on a silicone mat or a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat until all cookies are chocolate dipped and sprinkled.
- Let chocolate set and enjoy!