You can call me the Cookie Monster.
I bake them so I can eat them. It’s a very selfish act. Even when I’m baking them with someone else in mind, I always eat some. Sometimes you have to be your own taste tester (ALWAYS).
These I made because I was really in the mood for cookies (again ALWAYS). I also wanted to bake something a little healthier so that I wouldn’t feel so bad about eating 5 of them in a sitting.
These are crazy crisp on the outside and ooey-chewy-gooey in the middle. An absolute success if I do say so myself.
I made them with coconut oil instead of butter or butter subsitute. If you aren’t a fan of coconut oil, I’m very sorry for you. It does wonders for your insides and out. It also tastes massively delicious in cookies.
Everyone that tasted them loved them (including all ten of me).
RECIPE (makes a couple dozen):
- 1 cup melted coconut oil ( I used organic, unrefined)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbs ground flax seed mixed with 6 tbs water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut oil and sugars until well combined.
- Next, whisk in flax eggs until well combined. Add in vanilla extract.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in flour and baking soda. Add in chocolate chips and stir until chocolate looks even distributed.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for 20-30 min. You don’t want to refrigerate too long, just enough for the dough to solidify a little more. If it’s in the fridge for too long, the dough will be too hard to handle.
- Make tablespoon sized balls of dough and place on lined baking sheet two inches apart.
- Bake cookies for 10 min or until golden on the edges, rotating pan half way through.
- Let cookies sit on hot baking sheet until they are cool and easy to pick up. These cookies are a little fussy so you have to let them sit in order to handle them.
- Should keep fresh stored in an airtight container for 3-5 days.