I made banana bread in a toaster oven and it wasn’t a complete disaster! In fact, it was probably one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
Look at how beautiful it is!
When I’m home and it’s a little warm in the house, my mom doesn’t let me use the gas oven. It’s a sad state of affairs because I would bake in any degree of heat if I could, but I do need to respect my mom’s wishes. Being that I was driving up to Syracuse to visit my boyfriend, I couldn’t go empty handed, so I had to find a way to bake this bread and the toaster oven was pretty much the best and only option.
I’ve baked this version of banana bread multiple times before and it always turns out differently based on the number of bananas or ingredients that I have. I used the toaster oven for the entire process and I’d have to say that this version was the most moist and flavorful. It’s also relatively healthy!
First, I roasted my bananas in the toaster oven for about 20 min. at 350. I love roasting bananas because it really brings out their flavor and makes them really juicy.
While allowing them to cool, I mixed the dry ingredients and got the other wet ingredients prepared to go.
Once cool, I mashed the bananas and whisked in the egg and vanilla. After incorporated, I whisked in the dry ingredients and oil.
Then I poured the batter into a greased medium loaf pan and sprinkled on some cinnamon sugar topping. This adds a nice crunch to the top of the bread. I placed it in the toaster oven for about 40 min. on 350 degrees F.
After about 40 min. I took it out to cool for about 20 min. and then flipped it out of the pan.
RECIPE-slightly adapted from Two Peas and their Pod.
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large or extra large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon-Sugar mixture-optional
- Preheat toaster oven to 350 degrees F. Cover a toaster oven size pan with foil or parchment paper and place bananas on it to roast. Roast bananas in toaster oven for about 20 min or until black and blistered.
- While bananas are roasting, mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and sugar in a small bowl and grease your loaf pan.
- When bananas are cool, peel them carefully over a large bowl, allowing the juices to drop in with the bananas. Mash the bananas with a fork.
- Carefully whisk the egg and vanilla into the mashed bananas until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture in parts with the oil and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour into your greased loaf pan and generously sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top.
- Place in the toaster oven for 40 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20 min. before taking out of pan and continuing to let it cool on a wire rack.
- Serves 12 at about 130 calories per slice 🙂